No Winter Lasts for Ever





Wednesday morning, the sun is shining, birds are singing.  It seems that we've had a very long winter, so Spring you are very, very welcome.  Those warm coat free days, lift the spirit and bring new beginnings... Hay Fever!  My eyes are itchy, but hey, you can't have it all.

Growing up in 1960's Manchester, I'd never heard of Hay Fever or the Easter Bunny!

The start of Spring was welcomed and meant more time playing outside, having the freedom to explore with friends and trying not to get caught by the neighbours when playing Black and White Rabbit.  This was a daring game where you knocked on a front door, before running away.  I did get caught, once, and my dad wasn't well pleased!

School play times were warm, the milk was warm and after several months of having a freezing bum shivering in the outside loo, the toilet seats were warm!

We were made of strong stuff back then. If you had a bad fall in the playground, your mum was never called and you were lucky to get a plaster.



In the Irish, catholic community Easter was very much a religious celebration.  Going to church once a week was bad enough but around Easter it seemed that we were never out of the place.  Good Friday was solemn and highly respected, with shops closed across the UK.  From a young age I can remember attending the Stations of the Cross at 3 o'clock, and then home for a fish tea.  I hated fish!




I was ready for my chocolate feast when Easter Sunday eventually came.  I always got a new dress and hat to wear to church, so was well chuffed.  Lunch was always special with a roast and a little bit of cider to try!  Having my dad around for a few days was great as he always took us to the park.




By the time I had my own family I had given religion some serious thought and it wasn't part of our Easter celebrations.  Getting together with family and friends, days out and lots of chocolate definitely were though.   But still no Easter bunny, although we did get an Easter baby one year!

Olivia Alice, Soli's Auntie, my Easter baby

Family time


I can't believe how popular the Easter Bunny is now, with shops all encouraging people to prepare for his coming!  At seventeen months old, I don't think Soli will be too bothered, but I really think bunny should hide some eggs in grandma's garden.  What have I been missing out on! And my poor deprived children!  That bunny better hide lots of eggs as I'm looking forward to an eggsensational rummage in my garden 💙🌝



Here's to a great Easter

Comments

Popular Posts