Miss You Soli





 A Wednesday morning and grandma is all alone...In her house, with no Soli!

Sometimes grandma and childcare just don't work out and Soli is now spending four days with his childminder.

It sounded so straight forward back then.  The reality was different.  Travelling to Nottingham every week after a demanding day at work was arduous.  I'm a nervous driver and hate driving in the dark.  Actually I'm surprised that I made it at all on some occasions.  Rush hour and darkness had me scared shitless!


 When I arrived in Nottingham I was so tired and felt that I needed a space, where a certain little person couldn't find me!



I think Soli's mummy and daddy were tired too!  Both have demanding jobs and really just wanted to chill after work instead of having to put up with me every week.  I think daddy felt that he had to cook me a tasty dinner, when they could just do with beans on toast.   I hogged the TV and made them watch medical and child theme programmes.  We were a bed short too, so poor daddy usually spent the night on the sofa!

I'd forgotten how demanding a baby could be, no need for my alarm clock.  Soli was always on high interactive play alert at six thirty in the morning.




We always had busy fun days though, before I had to face the journey home.  My hubby usually came home from work to a salad and me snoring my little head off!

When the child minder announced that she now had space on Wednesday, and my daughter said, "What do you think mum"?   I was going to say that I'll just continue, no problem, but instead I said...



My daughter thought it was a great idea too, and was so relieved that I was in full agreement. 🌝  And do you know, Soli loves going to his childminder, especially on a Wednesday because it's a bus ride into town day.


If you decide to take on childcare, remember that it's a huge commitment, especially if you still work.  For my family the cost of childcare initially, was a concern, but with a change in job circumstances, the extra day a week with the childminder is doable for mum and dad.

If things are not working out and you feel perhaps that you have taken on too much, then it really is best to say something and not struggle on.  You may discover that you just don't have the inclination to be involved with childcare again, no matter how much you love your grandchild.  After all you've been there and done it, and those energy reserves that you thought you had... never enough! believe me!

I think having good relationships with your family helps when things don't go according to plan and good clear communication is the key.  If anyone feels that childcare isn't working then say so.  The last thing you want is resentment building up and for someone to feel trapped in the arrangement.

So here I am, lying in my bed, alone! on a Wednesday morning, contemplating the day ahead.  A bit of retail therapy perhaps, followed by lunch with a friend.


I do miss you my little Soli Monster, but I know you'll have a lovely day too.  I can't wait for your visit next week, lots of grandma cuddles and fun coming your way. 💙🌝






Comments

Popular Posts